This is relative to product packaging that can be recycled within New Zealand. It may be a surprise to consider that many of our recyclables are sent off shore to be processed.
The products that are used in the packaging of supplements can range from plastic to glass to cardboard.
So which products are recycled within New Zealand?
- Glass is recycled within NZ. It is mainly turned into Glasscrete and Glassphalt that is used when making roads
- Paper and cardboard are recycled either in NZ or in Asia and made into news print, writing paper, tissue, corrugated cardboard, egg cartons and fruit trays
- Hard plastic is sent to either Australia or Southeast Asia or processed here in NZ. It is made into anything and everything plastic
- Aluminum is recycled in NZ and Asia
- Steel is made into food cans, wire and building materials in NZ or Asia
Because New Zealand is relatively small on the world scale, we do not produce as much recycling material as many other countries. This is why a great deal of our recycling is transported overseas. It is believed that it has less of an environmental impact than manufacturing and running additional recycling plants in New Zealand.